Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Blog o'the Week

1) I had a kick-ass lesson plan the other day; it was actually 2 kick-ass lessons rolled into one. We practiced assessing ELLs' English proficiency using the SOLOM and the 5 Stages of Language Acquisition (while simultaneously learning about concurrent validity and inter-rater reliability). Then, I split my students into random groups and assigned each one a candidate to research their views on/voting record on/plans for dealing with immigration. They're presenting tomorrow... I'm excited to learn from them.

2) I am beginning to understand statistics. This is magnificent. I get z scores and T scores (and can figure them, when given mean and standard deviation).

3) My sweet friend K made me homemade chocolates and wrote me the loveliest of cards for Valentine's Day. It helped to take away some of the hate I have towards Valentine's this year.

4) My friend from Istanbul is pumped that I'll be in Turkey and can't wait to take me all around. I'm pumped that I have a friend in Turkey to visit!

5) I narrowly escaped making a VERY foolish life choice over the weekend. Logic, reason, and good old taking-care-of-myself-ness kept me out of what could have been one of the worst personal decisions since... well, maybe all time.

6) Elizabeth told me that in her professional opinion, I'm doing GREAT. That's right folks, GREAT. Then I almost made the bad decision (but didn't; because I'm GREAT).

7) I'm watching Disc 2 of Season 1 of Weeds right now. I'm gonna say--I like it.

8) Someone in San Marcos really likes my blog. Hmmmmmmmm.

2 comments:

Brian said...

Mitsi - I'm as curious about how your doing as you may have been about me, over the weekend. That's why I've found myself in your comment box. I just don't know where to begin. I'm sorry that the notion of satisfying that curiosity registers as a VERY bad life choice. I really hope that we might find it in ourselves to pursue that some day, however it may play out. Maybe your therapist and my therapist can get together and go bowling. I hope your Valentine's Day exceeds last year's. Probably occurred the moment you woke up this morning. Take care... B

mitsi said...

Hey wait a second... what's that?!?


Is it what I think it is?


Yeah, must be... my "finding it within myself to pursue that some day." I find this (from yourself) to be bullshit.

I don't want to hear more of the "someday"s and the "soon"s. Seriously, that's enough. And I'm pretty sure my therapist (in her professional opinion) thinks you're a douchebag. She even thought my Fundamental Attribution Error was probably in giving you more credit that you deserved. I mean, someone who knowingly puts another's health at risk [to name one] really leaves a lot to be desired.