Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Technology Camp

Ah yes- Technology Camp. The words bring tears of joy to the hearts of most little dorky kids like me.* However, this summer's technology camp is a different sort, more of the heartbreaking variety. Indeed, for the next 10 to 15 business days, my technology is going away to camp.

It started with Lil' Blanco (my iPod), who began giving me sad iPod face:

45 minutes into my long-ass 7 hour haul from Austin to Lubbock last Friday. Even the singing of the
"Growing Pains" theme song served as no source of comfort to Lil' Blanco in his time of crisis. Fortunately, there are 5 days remaining in his window of warranty. His box (via FedEx) should be arriving soon to take him off to exotic New Jersey where he'll spend the next two weeks and come back completely brainwashed (ie: sans music).

The second little big issue has been brewing since before Christmas, but I was hesitant to do anything about it because I knew what it would mean-- living WITHOUT MY LAPTOP for some duration of time. Finally, today, I could take it no more. See, there's some sort of problem where the AC adapter has to be plugged in to the AC power port at exactly the right angle in order for the computer to operate on AC power and also to charge the battery. Apparently that little glitch indicates the need for some internal re-circuitry. Lappy McLaptop (who has no actual name, unlike Lil' B), will be going to Camp Dell (location undisclosed) for the next week to receive a new
motherboard. The hardward support man assured me that DHL would take excellent care of him on his way to and from camp and that he'd be all new and refreshed upon his return. I'll always have his memory (literally, I have to take out the hard drive before sending it away).

I guess that everyone has to let go a little bit at some point. If you live anywhere near me, though, be prepared because there's a good chance I'll be popping in to check my e-mail, hear some tunes, and maybe blog a little while the kids electronics are away.

* The author never actually has been to a technology camp, nor is she sure if such things actually exist, although she's positive that somewhere there is a grey, windowless room filled with little kids with big glasses who spend their summers writing code 'til all hours of the night. There are no arts and crafts at technology camp, but internet dating is huge.

2 comments:

Jo said...

This post gives me hope that I can also get through an impending time without Max Maxtorson (my Maxtor external hard drive that houses all of my picture and music files). He has been giving me such trouble lately, talking back and hiding things from me, that I have decided I have no choice but to send him to boot camp to see what can be recovered. It is hard the first time we send our little ones away for an overnight visit, but knowing that someone else is going through the same thing gives me strength.

Sars said...

Brilliant and entertaining, Mits. I'm glad you and Jo can bond over this and support one another.